Please note: There is an official guide to the disposal of sharps, such as needles or syringes – available on the Government of Western Australia Department of Health Website. So please do not treat this article as a general guide.
All sharps found are to be treated with extreme care – It is estimated that in 2015, over 850,000 people were injured by an incorrectly disposed sharp in the USA.
Please follow this advice to protect yourself from a potentially harmful injury from a sharp:
- If you come across a used sharp, do not panic.
- Find a puncture resistant, plastic container that has a screw-on/off lid. Avoid using glass or thin plastic which might shatter / puncture. Avoid plastic bags, as they might cause injury to an unknowing person after you dispose of the sharp.
- Use gloves if possible, and pick up the sharp by the blunt-end, and place it needle first into the container.
- Tightly seal the container, and dispose of it in a domestic rubbish bin or sharps disposal unit. Do not dispose of the sharp down a toilet, sink, recycling bin or any other unsafe place.
Are you a business looking for a sharps disposal box for your premises? Envirocare Systems has provided a Sharps disposal service to Perth businesses for over 16 years.
The complete sharps disposal service offered by Envirocare Systems includes:
- Installation and maintenance of a shatter and theft proof, fixed sharps disposal unit in a location of your choice.
- Regular servicing and emptying of the sharps disposal unit, so that you don’t have to worry about your employees or customers potentially injuring themselves.